If you want to make a difference in the counseling profession, are a dedicated counselor educator or practicing Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), and like to write, the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) and the Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE) are recruiting item writers for the National Counselor Examination (NCE), used for certification and licensure.
- A minimum of a master’s degree in counseling from a Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP)-accredited program;
- Evidence of at least five years of active practice as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC);
- Demonstrated excellence with English writing skills;
- Familiarity of CACREP curriculum standards, and the knowledge and skills necessary for the practice of professional counseling;
- The ability to accept constructive criticism when working with others;
- The ability to write multiple-choice questions.
Selected participants must complete a complimentary item writing training to learn:
- How to critique multiple choice items;
- How a test blueprint is established and used for item writing;
- How to write effective item stems and distractors;
- Psychometric methods for evaluating test items;
- How to write items that measure specific counseling theories and job tasks;
- How to write items that measure knowledge and skills at different cognitive levels;
- How to properly cite test items.
Interested? Please contact David Whittinghill, Ph.D. at Itemwriter@cce-global.org